In middle school, grades 6-8, students further develop specialized skills within movement forms and enhance physical fitness through involvement in a variety of dual and individual modified sports and outdoor activities. Students participate in physical activities that lead to active lifestyles and lifetime wellness. Social and emotional development is enhanced through activities that require team building.
Demonstrate competency in motor and movement skills needed to perform a variety of physical activities
- Demonstrate competency for participation in adventure/outdoor activities (e.g., orienteering, snowshoeing, skating).
Participate regularly in physical activity:
- Recognize and understand the significance of physical activity in the maintenance of a healthy lifestyle.
- Set SMART goals, (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, time sensitive) for participation in activities of own choosing.
- Maintain a physical activity log for a designated period of time (e.g., weight training charts, steps during the day, time engaged in physical activity).
Apply fitness concepts to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of personal fitness:
- Monitor heart rate before, during, and after various intensity levels of physical activity.
- Compare the fitness benefits of a variety of activities.
Exhibit personal and social behavior that respects self and others in physical activity settings:
- Demonstrate appropriate behavior in physical activity settings.
- Demonstrate concern for safety of self and others during games and activities.
- Demonstrate self-control and sportsmanship/etiquette during games and activities (e.g., accepting controversial decisions).
Value physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction:
- Identify several reasons why participation in physical activities is enjoyable and desirable.
- Reflect on reasons for choosing to participate in selected physical activities (e.g., health, challenge, self-expression, social interaction, personal goal).
- Enjoy working alone or with others in a sport or physical activity to achieve a goal.